"one fade at a time"
This page is dedicated my dear friend Tommy R., who is no longer with us.
May he be picking treasures wherever he is......
Clicking on most images, will open in new window, bringing you to our Famed Now & Then Fades of St. Petersburg, FloridaPast
Your Journey Now Begins.......
First Stop, the once Famed Webb's Department Store
The Historical Gulfport Casino and Ballroom - Gulfport, FloridaPast
The following Fades have a bit more meaning to us, since we were inside this building many times through the years. Our once annual Floridiana Show was held within these walls. A Wonderful Venue which we surely miss doing.
Since history has been documented, we borrowed some to share here with you all.
"The town was originally named Disston City in 1884 when Hamilton Disston purchased land in the area. The United States Postal Service would not recognize the name as it conflicted with a town in Hillsborough County. Instead, it was named Bonifacio. In 1890, the town name was changed to Veteran City. In 1910, the name officially changed to Gulfport.
Gulfport is distinguished by its high concentration of artisans inspired by the intense light and tropical scenery. A celebration the first Friday and third Saturday of each month called "Art Walk" attracts locals and tourists. Many street performers, artists and craftspeople show up to create a relaxed cultured atmosphere in the warm balmy evening breezes coming off the beach at the end of the street."
Please credit to, and read more by clicking here -
Some borrowed history to share about this Wonderful Building;
"The first casino was built in 1906. The two story building was built as a resting place for people who waited for ferry boats to pick them up. Since there were no bridges at the time that lead to the beach, people traveled by boat to reach the beach shores."
"The second floor of the casino had a dance hall, and the casino soon became a place of social gatherings as well as a waiting dock for the ferry boats. A trolley system was in play that drove folks right up to the entrance of the casino. Tragedy struck and the casino was demolished by the Hurricane of 1921."
"The second casino was built and opened in 1924. This new structure was faintly closer to the shore and took on a similar style to the first. The casino was not as strongly built as the first, but people still piled in to dance and socialize. Automobiles were becoming a popular mode of transportation which limited the use of the trolley, but ferry boats still picked folks up from the dock of the casino. This casino’s life span ended so that a superior casino could be built."
"The third and final casino thus far was built in 1934. It has undertaken renovations to approve its appearance but is still the same one built in 1934. It is the home to many social events; the main one being dancing. The Gulfport Casino’s dance floor is 5,000 square feet, and has luxurious chandeliers which hang above it for elegant lighting. Adjacent to the dance floor is a bandshell stage and a bar, which is perfect for entertainment. It is rented out to people at fair prices for their special events, and hosts dance classes four nights out of the week."
Please give all history text credit to, and read more by Clicking Here -
Boats, Ships, Vessels on the Waterways of St. Pete, FloridaPast
Captain Doris Outland, a 33 year old widow from Ohio,
who's husband had died from a brain operation.
So she took over as Captain.
At the time this image was taken, Captain Doris Outland, also Owner of Miss Florida, has been Captain for a bit less than two years.
On board, there was an 81 year old banjo player and singer. For his living, collections were taken.
See image to right for more Miss Florida Jungle Cruise History ->